Sunday, July 19, 2009

Where have you been?

A lot going on over here. I know I have been quiet, but it is more important for me to spend time with my family than update this constantly. Kayla's 11th birthday was last Wednesday. I took her to Disneyland. She hadn't been there since 2006 when I had taken the whole family. This time it was just her and I. She had a blast. We also took the monorail to Downtown Disney and got her a bear from Build-a-Bear. We were there from opening to closing. I had fun, but ended up thinking of Beverlie constantly because (as many of you know) I am exclusively breastfeeding her.

I found out when we came home that she had refused to eat by bottle and was not a happy baby at all for Daddy. She seemed happy when we got home though. I don't want to be away that long from her again. I was in intense pain, and I am sure she was one very hungry baby.

I've been researching curriculum in anticipation of the upcoming school year. I have a curriculum conference in August put on by the kids' charter school that I am going to. I am interested in learning more about a Thomas Jefferson education, and am taking classes there on it. On my own I tend to lean a bit more to Charlotte Mason and a little bit of unschooling, but I like to be flexible because all of the children have different learning styles.

I've enrolled Lucian and Beverlie into Early Head Start. Jen is very nice and I am hopeful that Lucian working with her will help him verbalize more. She has me working with him more also, and that is always a good thing. I need to find more age appropriate books for him. I have a limited amount of board books available. They have been much loved, and like the Velveteen Rabbit, have fallen apart. I suspect there is a forest somewhere with a walking "Goodnight Moon."

Adam is still getting limited hours, and was approved for unemployment because his hours were so greatly reduced. He hasn't gotten a check yet, but it will be a help when he does. I continue to also look for a job, but there isn't anything to be had here. I hear talk of the economy improving, but I don't see it. We are still waiting on our Medi-Cal to be approved so we can take Beverlie and Lucian to the doctor for a well-baby checkup.

Melody has been working on her drawing. Time has gone by so quickly. I still remember her carrying around her baby "Amy" and "feeding" her as I fed her sister. Or sitting next to her as she "read" her favorite book to me, "Love You Forever." It is such a privilege to watch her grow up.

Ambrosia is playing Little Big Planet with Kayla right now. She's going into 3rd grade this year. Wow. I worry about her. She was bullied a lot last year because she was the youngest and smallest in her grade (she skipped a grade). I am worried that bullying will take her sweet personality away. It saddens me.

We plan on going to the park again today after it cools down a little bit. We've been doing more as a family since getting rid of cable, and I think it is just wonderful. Yesterday was swimming. It was 106 here...definitely swimming weather. =)

3 comments:

  1. Just dropping by to say hello. It was great reading your update. Take care and blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being so honest. My family is struggling financially as well. It has not been as warm here as it usually is so we haven't been to the beach yet, but maybe soon. I will keep you in my thoughts and keep checking on your blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete