Monday, April 27, 2009

Making My Home Sing Monday

Making your home sing Mondays

By now if you've read my blog, you know that my 23 month old son is potty training. That means lots of washing of his briefs. Being that we live in an apartment that adds up to a lot of money for the laundry room.

Frugality is something a larger family like mine practices as a part of life. Today I spent the morning handwashing his "tidy whiteys" on a washboard with some Zote soap.

Afterwards, I put them out in the sun to dry. We do not have a line yet to hang them from, so I laid some upon the fence and had others on our outdoor furniture. Lots of little underwear. lol I hope to get a laundry line soon.

I also found a good recipe for homemade laundry soap for those times when handwashing is not prudent or efficient. The best part? I already have the ingredients to make it.

Homemade Laundry Soap

1 cup grated Zote Soap
1/2 cup OxiClean or washing soda
1/2 cup Borax

Mix together and use 1 tablespoon per load, 2 tablespoons if it is a really soiled load.

If you want to make sure it works well in cold water washes, use your food processor after you grate the soap to combine everything and make it into a finer powder. Just make sure the soap is dry before you do.

NOTE: Washing soda is NOT the same thing as baking soda. Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate while washing soda is sodium carbonate. I'm using OxiClean because it is sodium carbonate with hydrogen peroxide. It is readily available in my area, whereas I have yet to find washing soda on its own here.

4 comments:

  1. I have wanted to do this. I am a little concerned about getting the soap residue out of the food processor since you also use it to prepare food.

    Assuming if we wash it carefully it's probably safe, don't you think? Just don't want to get strange chemicals in my food.

    I love how you washed his undies. Very "old fashioned" of you. I love all that sort of thing, though I don't often do it. Just makes me feel like more of a homemaker, lol!

    Thank you for joining us today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the days of potty training! I didn't have my own washer and dryer back then either so I did alot of washing by hand, too. We moms just do what we have to do, don't we? I've been using the homemade soap for about a year now and it works great. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your recipe it is very simple. Way to get and stay happy through all the various happenings of your household. Wow all of you in an apartment, you will have to blog about that,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zote soap has long been used as a dish detergent as well as laundry detergent. I would think as long as you rinse well it shouldn't be an issue.

    I love my washboard!

    ReplyDelete