Thursday, April 30, 2009

By Request: Black Bean Soup

So, I twitter. I admit it. I'm not sure why, but I like the ability to have small tidbits of socializing with virtually anyone as I continue my day. Yes, there are a couple celebrities I follow. But this isn't what this post is about.

I twittered (tweeted?) that I had made black bean soup for dinner, and was asked by Heather from over at the Christensen-Branson Clan for the recipe. Being as we really should share our knowledge (and since I love the simplicity and the feeling I get from making my own meals) I thought I'd share.

Black Bean Soup
  • 15oz can of black beans
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 to 6 carrots, sliced
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 6 chicken bouillon cubes
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Rinse the black beans in a colander, then put them into a large pot. Cover the beans with 2 quarts of water. Turn the heat on low, and just let it simmer as you cut up the vegetables. When the beans are perfectly tender add the vegetable oil, chopped vegetables and seasonings. Taste and add salt if you think it needs it. Put a lid on the pot and simmer the soup for 30 minutes or until the carrots are tender. The soup will be rich and dark with vibrant colors from the vegetables peaking through. When everything is tender, it’s ready to serve.

This soup feeds my family with some to spare. What simple recipes do you know? Please share with us!!

4 comments:

  1. Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You

    I will be making this meal this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two recipes come to mine, of course one is a soup recipe. Soup is so economical especially for a large family.

    Tomato Soup

    1 large can tomato juice
    1 med can diced tomatoes
    celery
    onions
    carrots
    basil
    Salt
    Pepper


    Depending on how long I have to cook I either will add veg stock or water if I am simmering all day. Sometimes we make it creamy buy adding milk and corn starch, sometimes we add several strips of thick cut bacon just to add flair. We love this at our house.

    It's late and i can't think of the other one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, thank you, Berta! I love learning recipes...especially ones that are so easy (and I already have the ingredients)!

    ReplyDelete