
I am thankful to have my daughter Kayla cancer free for almost 9 years. There were many days, back then, when I wondered if she would live to see her second birthday.
Kayla was born on July 15, 1998. She was a very happy and exuberant child. She had a constant companion in her older sister, Melody, and they were double trouble when they were together. Being only 17 1/2 months apart in age enabled them to be very close friends. When she started getting sick...she turned into a different child.
My normally happy daughter became lethargic and clingy. She didn't want to walk because it hurt. When she did, she limped. She had a constant fever. Her father and I began taking her to the doctor over and over trying to find out what was going on. To her pediatrician's credit, she never gave up looking. The simple fact was that it is often hard for the childhood cancer patient to be diagnosed quickly.
I discovered later, though, that Kayla's diagnosis coming after four months was actually quite quick compared to the other families we met. She also presented with little symptoms, but Kayla was still very ill when we did finally make the trip to Loma Linda Children's Hospital. It was Father's Day, 2000 when we drove as fast as the little Taurus could go to get her there. For days afterward they wouldn't give us any information. I could hear her screams as they gave her the bone marrow biopsy. It was the last time I would let them keep me out of a treatment area.
The year 2000 was a life-changing year for all of us. I am thankful for what I have learned during that time. I am thankful for the people that supported us through such a difficult time, and for those that prayed for us. I am thankful for the families I met there on the 4800 floor...I will never forget them. I am thankful for the experience because I realized what was important to me.
My family is important to me. What is important to me is a CURE. My daughter is one of the lucky ones. But there are those that do not survive, and that just will not do. While I thank G-d every day that she is here, I will not stop fighting cancer until it is gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment